Special Programs and Incentives
Home Land Transfer Tax Refund
Land Transfer Tax applies to all transfers of land in Ontario.
First-time homebuyers may be eligible for a refund of all or part of the tax.
How much is the Refund?
The maximum amount of the refund is $2,000. If the refund is claimed at time of registration, it may offset the land transfer tax ordinarily payable. If not claimed at registration, the refund may be claimed directly from the Ministry of Revenue. No interest is paid on this refund.
To claim a refund, you:
- must be at least 18 years of age;
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)
This program allows homebuyers to purchase a property with as little as 5% down. For more information, contact: Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation 416-221-2642 or go to http://www.cmhc.ca/
Tarion Home Warranty
Tarion Warranty Corporation is a government regulated organization which regulates/licenses all builders and vendors of new homes in Ontario, and includes the following safeguards and benefits to all new home purchasers:
• Deposit protection of up to a maximum of $20,000.
• Comprehensive warranty against defects and workmanship and even compensates purchasers for delayed closings
For more information, contact Tarion at 416-229-9200 or go to: http://www.tarion.com/home/
- must occupy the home as your principal residence within 9 months of after the date of transfer; and
- cannot have owned a home, or an interest in a home, anywhere in the world.
- your spouse cannot have owned a home, or an interest in a home, anywhere in the world while being your spouse; and
- in the case of a newly constructed home, you must be entitled to a Tarion New Home Warranty.
How Do I Apply?
Qualifying taxpayers may claim an immediate refund at time of registration in one of two ways:
- If registering electronically, by completing the required statements under the "explanation" tab of the electronic affidavit.
- If registering on paper, by filing an Ontario Land Transfer Tax Refund Affidavit For First-Time Purchasers of Eligible Homes at the Land Registry Office.
What is the application deadline?
- Applications for a refund must be made within 18 months after the date of the transfer.
If application was not made at registration and the tax was paid, qualified purchasers may apply for a refund by completing an Ontario Land Transfer Tax Refund Affidavit For First-Time Purchasers of Eligible Homes and send it to the ministry.
For full details on the refund program, please see Ontario Tax Bulletin LTT 1-2008 Land Transfer Tax Refunds for First-Time Homebuyers.